Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Sweet and Sour Green Beans

Before I launch into these lovely green beans, let me take a few moments to impart my philosophy and reason for cooking. Cooking keeps me sane! That's pretty much it in a nutshell. For me creating something tasty and beautiful that I can share with others from essentially a hodgepodge of ingredients is almost as fulfilling as creating a new life...almost. During huge times of stress, cooking has been a great relief and release. Granted, it hasn't done much for girlish figure, but, oh, well. As my hubby would tell you, I am financially pretty low maintenance. I don't drink, smoke, carouse, spend ungodly amounts on clothes or shoes, require being taken to dinner and movies or vacations on any kind of regular basis, or even spend much on cosmetics. But I do love my kitchen supply shops. Food brings people together...and I am not talking purchased prepared foods. I'm talking belly filling, aromatic, eye pleasing meals. And this is what I am about.

Now, with that out of my system...on to the green beans.

These are a bit time consuming, much like risotto. But like good risotto, worth it. The levels of flavor in these will knock your socks off.

Ingredients

1 lb. fresh green beans
2 strips bacon cut into small pieces
1/2 half small onion chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (do not substitute)
2 TBS. sugar (I actually used Splenda)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Wash and snap the ends off the green beans. Set aside. Cook the bacon until about half way to crisp in a large skillet. When the bacon is about half way done add the onion and continue to cook until bacon is crisp. Add the green beans, 1/2 cup broth, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook on medium low, stirring often, letting the liquid reduce. As the liquid reduces continue to add a bit of the broth at a time until beans are tender/crisp. They should be a dull green in color, much like what you see in canned beans. But don't let them get mushy! There will be very little liquid left. If you need to add more than the cup of broth, feel free. These will be a bit brown looking because of the balsamic. Just a warning lest you think you burned them.


Notes: The flavor of these green beans is incredible. As I noted above...do not substitute another vinegar. These are our new favorite green beans. A great side dish for any meal. Enjoy!

No comments: