Monday, May 11, 2009

Crisp Oven-Fried Chicken

Holy cow! Who doesn't like fried chicken? It is totally unAmerican to not love it. But who likes to stand over a hot skillet, tending it, keeping it from scorching, making sure it isn't raw in the middle? I spent too many years trying to fry the perfect fowl. Sometimes success, sometimes disaster. Then I stumbled upon this recipe in a Farm Journal cookbook. I played with it, added a few of my own touches, and now can be fairly assured of success every time. Caution...naturally it is not low cal. Ask me do I care? For picnics, this is perfect.

Ingredients

2 (3 lb.) broiler/fryers cut up
3/4 cup crushed saltine crackers
3/4 cup crushed white cheddar Cheez-It cracker
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 TBS. minced fresh parsley (I used Italian)
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup melted butter

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a shallow baking pan or sheet with sides. Mix the dry ingredients together. I always use a couple of pie pans for this part. I put the crumbs in one pan and the half-and -half in another. Dip the pieces of chicken first in liquid, then coat with the crumbs. Lay skin side up on baking sheet. And here's the best part...drizzle that melted butter over the chicken. Yuuummmm.

Bake for 1 hour.
This is going to be so crispy and juicy, it will be hard for you to resist chomping right into it. But do let it cool for 5 or 10 minutes so you don't do damage to your taste buds and roof of your mouth. You really want to be able to revel in the flavor.

Notes: I used 1 whole chicken and 8 thighs. But after I cut up the whole chicken, I froze the back and wings to make stock at a later date. This left me with a total of 14 pieces of chicken. The above amount of crumbs and liquid were just the right. And this is absolutely delectable cold. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As an unbiased husband I will add my two bits worth here...It is downright tasty!

Phil