Sunday, December 21, 2008

Spaghetti "Squash" Pie

I have made traditional spaghetti pie for, oh, I don't know, about 25 years. It has always been one of my favorites. With my new found love of spaghetti squash, I thought, hmmm, why not try substituting the squash for the pasta. Couldn't think of a reason not to try it. It actually worked pretty well. I didn't have to do a lot of adjusting and the end result was quite tasty.

Spaghetti Squash Pie

1/2 cooked and shredded spaghetti squash
2 TBS. butter
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 well beaten eggs
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 chopped green or red pepper
2 gloves garlic grated or pressed
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

After the squash has been prepared place it in a bowl, stir in butter, add Parmesan cheese and eggs. Press the mixture into a crust in a greased (I spray with butter flavored Pam) pie pan. In a skillet saute onion, peppers, and garlic in a little olive oil. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, oregano, and salt. Heat through. Spread cottage cheese on top of the squash crust. Fill pie with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese (I used sliced fresh mozzarella cheese). Bake uncovered at 350 degree for 30 minutes.

Let sit for 5 or 10 minutes before slicing. Now the big difference from the pasta pie is that the squash pie doesn't quite slice as nicely. But it is still yummy! Hubby really liked it. Serve with a salad and a crusty bread and you have a great supper. Enjoy!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This looks yummy. From a nutritional standpoint, its great! Lots of veggies and protein. I'll have to try it!