Sunday, February 15, 2009

Stroganoff and Love

Valentine's Day was lovely except for one thing...my camera died. I am so unhappy about that. I was really looking forward to posting pictures of hubby's and my afternoon with Paul and my stroganoff. Instead, as I often tell my students that I tutor in writing, I will have to paint pictures in words. Besides, you all know what stroganoff looks like, right?

So, first, Paul. He arrived with his movie, "Madagascar 2," and his baby, Michael, diaper bag, and play yard. Here's the story. Paul has 3 older brothers, 2 of whom are married with children. As these siblings have married and produced babies, he began to feel as though he was being denied something. The summer that my oldest daughter was married it all came to a head. Paul was so enraptured with the whole wedding thing that he began to plan his own. He made lists of items he would need, who would be invited, even where the ceremony would be held...on his parents backporch/deck. The one hitch in the plan...no bride. That didn't seem to bother him in the least. He just wanted a wedding. And after that he wanted a baby to take care of. My sis was beside herself
trying to figure out how to quash all of this. She finally decided to try doing the baby thing first to see if that would help quell his desire for a wedding. So she bought him a boy babydoll that is very lifelike. And, thus, Michael is born. He is the eternal newborn, and goes almost everywhere with Paul. He doesn't talk wedding plans any longer. But I guess there is going to be a baby shower in June. Hope my sis knows this.

Since Michael was with us yesterday, we had to put the Wiggles dvd that I have for my grandbaby on until Uncle Phil was done at the computer and could watch "Madagascar" with Paul. It was so adorable to see Paul stretched out on the loveseat with Michael on his lap facing the TV. Both were very content and relaxed watching the Wiggles perform their musical magic. (Personally, those guys creep me out.)

Later during dinner Paul kept telling me what a good cook I was. Must have been true. He had two pretty healthy servings of the stroganoff. Unfortunately, he didn't get to spend as much time with us as we would have liked. He had to take his dessert with him. But my sis was sure appreciative of being able to have some grownup time, and I'm glad I could do it for her. Hopefully, things have settled down for awhile so that Paul can spend some more time with us.


Now, on to the stroganoff. This is one of hubby's favorite dishes, which made it a wonderful choice for Valentine's. I don't like to skimp on the ingredients with this recipe. I want the meat as tender and the sauce as flavorful as possible. And I have a particular brand of noodles that I use that I can only find, so far, at Walmart. It's called Country Pasta and you can find out more about these noodles here.

Beef Stroganoff


1 1/2-2 lbs. beef sirloin sliced thin
2 medium onion sliced thin
2 TBS. oil
1 TBS. butter
3 cloves garlic minced
8 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup beef broth
2 TBS. flour
a little broth to mix flour with
2 TBS. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
wide noodles cooked according directions

Season the sliced beef with salt and pepper. Lay out 1/2 the sliced onion on a plate. Lay the sliced beef on the onions and cover with the other half of the onions and let rest for an hour. Go ahead and get the sour cream out and let it warm to room temperature. After the rest period, remove the meat from the onions, and quickly cook the meat in a large saute pan in the oil and butter. Remove the meat to a bowl and put the onion in the pan and cook until pretty well caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for another 4 or 5 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and cook until tender. Add back the meat and mix together thoroughly. Then add the wine and cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the broth. Let heat through. Mix the flour with a little extra broth or water until smooth. Make sure the liquid is boiling in the pan, push aside the meat and veggies and mix in the flour mix in gradually, stirring to keep it smooth. Heat until thickened. Stir in the Dijon mustard. Right before serving stir in the sour cream. Serve over the noodles. This stuff is to die for all. Just ask Paul.

1 comment:

Richard and Sharon said...

This is a recipe I am definitely going to have to try. I know it won't be as good but I have to substitute whole wheat noodles for good white flour noodles because of my diet. But hey--you can't have it all and I bet it will still be good.