Monday, January 12, 2009

CrockPot Pulled Pork with Bar-b-que Sauce

Who doesn't like a warm, succulent, tasty bar-b-que pork sandwich? I love them in the winter because they remind me of summer. And considering how winter has been so far, I need all of the summer memories I can gather.

This is really a fairly simple recipe that can be started early and finished off when you're ready for dinner. When I was explaining how to create this yummy dish to a family member, she thought it sounded like a great deal of work. But trust me it isn't. And some of the prep can be done the night before if you wanted. It really is worth the work...if you think this is a lot of work...which I don't.

CrockPot Pulled Pork

3-4 lb. boneless pork picnic or pork butt
sea salt, fresh ground pepper, bar-b-que grill seasoning
3/4 cup water
1 TBS. Kitchen bouquet
1/4 cup prepared coffee or cola (it's the acid in these liquids that tenderizes the meat)

Rub the pork with the seasonings and put in the crockpot. Add the liquids. Cook on low for 8 hours. Now, honestly, can that be any easier?

Here's what you need to finish it off.

1 medium onion thinly sliced
1 red pepper thinly sliced
2 TBS. butter or olive oil
3 cups barbque sauce or however much you feel gives you the desired consistency

When the pork is done remove it from the pot and let cool for a few minutes. As it is cooling, melt the butter in a large skillet or saute pan. Add the sliced onion and cook on medium to medium low for about 15 minutes. Don't forget to add salt to the onions as they start to cook. This speeds up the caramelization process. Then add the peppers and cook for another 5 minutes or so.


While the veggies are cooking, thinly slice the pork.


Add the pork to the veggies along with bar-b-que sauce. I use the low carb sauce that I make myself, but you can use any you prefer. If my body could tolerate the sugar, I would totally use Sweet Baby Ray's. I love that stuff. Anyway, after you have mixed all together, cover and simmer on low for 30 to 60 minutes. See, not so hard and totally delicious.


Serve this on hamburger buns or kaiser rolls or whatever your bread of choice is. Since I can't have the bread I just ate it from a bowl. Still delish! Enjoy!


No comments: