Saturday, August 9, 2008

Something Yummy for My Tummy Cream of Broccoli Soup

OK, I know it's summer, and hot soup is not really on your minds. But just put these recipes away for when it's cold and blustery outside, and you need something to warm you from the inside out. I have a need to make these creamy fattening soups to keep a family member nourished while he is unable to eat basically solid foods. And I don't think there is any reason they can't be made tasty and functional for the rest of the family. And let me tell you, this is one of our all time favorites! I can't take credit for the recipe. I found it in one of my old cookbooks that my church published as a fund raiser. Heck, we all know how good some of those recipes can be! Even if it is warm out, you really need to try this one. So here we go.

Cream of Broccoli Soup


The Ingredients

3 cups diced raw potatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 large head chopped broccoli
1 cup diced carrots
5 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
1 quart milk
8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

This soup is so easy it is ridiculous. First, I never peel the potatoes...except in this instance since I will be pureeing some of this. Another thing...if you don't have chicken broth you can certainly substitute bouillon cubes. For vegetarians, vegetable broth could also be substituted. And lastly, any type of milk could be used...skim, lowfat, half and half. It would just depend on how rich you prefer your soup.

Now to the making of it. Put all the veggies and chicken broth in a good size pot. Heat to boiling, cover and simmer until veggies are tender.

While the veggies are cooking, make a roux with the butter and flour. I am confident that most of you know what that is. But for those of you whom I have confused it simply means to melt the butter and then gradually add the flour whisking constantly until you have a smooth paste. Do this over a medium heat.


Then, again, gradually add the milk to the roux whisking the entire time. Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture is thickened.


Add the milk mixture gradually to the pot with the cooked veggies. Heat through until slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Be careful with the salt as the chicken broth and cheese will have salt. And I like to use white pepper in this as it is a little milder in flavor and it isn't nearly as visible as the black.


Now comes the really yummy part....cheeeeesssseee. Everything is better with cheese. You could use any melty cheese in this and it would be yummy. So add the cheese and stir until melted.

And there you have it...a warm yummy comfort soup that is a meal in itself. Trust me, you will love this. The important thing is....I didn't lie. It really is easy, isn't it?!


Enjoy!



3 comments:

nancygrayce said...

I made your brocolli soup today and it is every bit as yummy as you say! I have never had better brocolli soup. My family raved about it, and they don't rave! Thanks for the recipe, I'll be back for more of yours!

Karen said...

Thanks for the nice response! It's one of the soups that purees the best for my son to eat so I actually have to make it again tomorrow. Thanks goodness it's so easy.

Karen said...

P.S. Stay tuned for Minestrone. It's another yummy and hardy one!