Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Lists! Lists! Lists!

My hubby is big on lists. He always has some sort of "to do" list going. And always, as he completes a task, crosses it off. And always, as he completes one list he begins another. It is ongoing, consistent, predictable, and endearing. And he completes almost everything he sets out to complete.

Then there's me. I am a huge disappointment in the list area. I've tried. I really have. But, alas, I am a dismal failure in the land of the lists...at least "to do" lists. I get things done, honest...just in my own time and when I think about it. And where my hubby does things in a linear fashion, I attack life from many directions. Some days I finish many things. Other days I finish none. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be slightly ADD. But it's OK. I think it suits me.


In saying all that, there are lists I do make and do like. I make grocery lists, wish lists, lists of goals for my students, guest lists, and so on. So, on occasion I will blog lists. These kinds of lists are fun, and get my puny little brain just a little more organized.


My inaugural list is a list of the 10 ingredients I always have in my kitchen. Having these items in the pantry makes it possible to always be able to throw together a main dish. These are just basic things, nothing fancy or expensive. But to me, essential.


The order in which the items appear does not denote any level of importance. Essential means just that...and I don't think you can quantify how essential something is. It either is essential or it's not.

My 10 Essential Ingredients for Cooking





1. Stocks







2. Canned tomato products






3. Onion







4. Garlic











5. Parsley






6. Pastas








7. Rice







8. Beans







9. Red Bell Peppers









10. Cheeses



These are very simple, but with them on hand, I feel like I am ready for anything. What's on your list?

No comments: