Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My "Job"

Yesterday I was checking in with my sister-in-law to the north of us to see how she was doing after some surgery. (She's doing fine.)  As we were chatting back and forth she asked me how my tutoring was going. I proceeded to tell her it was going well, and I had a pretty full roster (8 students at this moment). And then, as I continued to fill her in on things, I realized that when I am out working with my students it is the best part of my day! I truly love working with these kiddoes. Many days when I get up and am going about my business of the day, i.e. cleaning, getting dinner ready for that night, prepping for my students that day, I think, "I wish I could just stay home and not have to spend my time running around the county." Then I start my day with the kids and, wow, the time just flies, and I realize what a good time I am having. I have always connected to kids better than adults. It's probably the total honesty with which they approach you. There are very few punches pulled, and the majority of them have such great senses of humor. I really really have fun with them. And it is such a joy when they succeed. So often in school they don't, so I become their private cheerleader. You would be amazed at how many of them feel that they are stupid.  It's very sad what school environments can do to a child's self esteem. But my students and I celebrate every little success so they can realize that they can learn and succeed. How cool a feeling is that?!  How many people can say all of that about their jobs? And one of the best parts is....drumroll...I have no boss! It's up to the parents and me as to what we work on and how we approach it. Love it, love it, love it.

OK, my day is just beginning so need to get to work prepping for the 3 guys that I have today. I hope all of you have as joyful a day working as I will.

2 comments:

Carl and Pat said...

You love it too because you are such a wonderful teacher, which makes the students respond to you. Keep up the good work!

Curtis and Shandy said...

Dang that is a cute grandson you got there. Those are great pictures of your family. I feel bad for not keeping in touch with you guys but hope you guys are doing good.

Curtis