Monday, October 13, 2008

Which Came First? Red Pepper, Spinach Omelet

OK, I'm not one for breakfast foods. Cereal is at the bottom of the list...unless it's Captain Crunch right out of the box. But I haven't indulged in that little sin in years. Over the last couple of years I have found, what the experts are now espousing (yea! I was ahead of the curve), I need protein in the a.m. I now pretty much avoid carbs in the morning. As a result I eat many eggs, although occasionally I have been known to chow down on hot dogs or leftover meat from the night before, but that isn't very often. Brother! I would never make it as a vegetarian. So what I am going to share with you is my favorite way to cook my eggs.

Ingredients

EVOO
1/3 cup of chopped red peppers
2 cups of baby spinach
2 eggs beaten
1 slice American cheese torn in small pieces
a sprinkling of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

When I make this I use a non-stick 7-8 inch skillet. I found an Emeril one at Bed, Bath and Beyond that is great! Do a couple of rounds of EVOO. Heat skillet to a medium heat. Add the peppers and cook for a 2-3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Slowly pour the egg/cheese/pepper flake mixture over the top of the veggies. Lower your heat to medium low.

Do NOT stir the eggs in the pan. As the eggs cook, gently lift the edges of the omelet and tilt the pan to let eggs in underneath. Continue to do this until all liquid has been distributed. Does this make any sense at all? The top of the omelet will still be soft and shiny. Let it slowly cook for a few minutes. Then fold the omelet over and let cook to a golden brown. Flip it and repeat. Then slide on to a plate. Now, I love heat so I drizzle some Frank's Red Hot sauce over the top. And that is breakfast! I do this many times a week. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of minced shallots or mushrooms. This little omelet keeps me from running to the fridge mid-morning. I promise it works! Enjoy!

No comments: